When I was a first year missionary, my team-mates and I had "team development" each Friday morning. During that time, we would discuss some reading that we had done during the previous week. The first book we discussed was called, "The Hidden Power of Kindness" by Fr. Lovasik. As I read through the book, I just thought, "This is so stupid. Simple. Ick." And yes, it has some cheesy parts. At least once during each meeting, we would point out some ridiculous part of it and have a good chuckle. 
The second year that we discussed it, it began to hit me. This book is an incredible examination of conscience. This book tells you how Christ would treat someone. This book sets the bar high. The cheesy parts are really innocent and good and simple. Wow, this book speaks to my heart. I decided I actually liked the book.
I picked it up again the other day, and my heart just melted. My soul caught on fire. Yes, Lord! I want to be kind. I want to love others more radically. I want to be more thoughtful and attentive, as You are.
I want to give this book to everyone!!!! Everyone. Can you imagine if everyone was trying to be kind? Not nice, but kind? Okay, now read this passage and tell me if you don't feel inspired-the kind of inspired that means you are shaken to the core. The kind of inspired that means that the Holy Spirit is at work.
"Kindness is our imitation of Divine Providence. Kindness, to be perfect and lasting, must be a conscious imitation of God. If you are earnestly conforming yourself to the image of Jesus Christ, sharpness, bitterness, and sarcasm disappear. The very attempt to be like Jesus is already a source of sweetness within you, flowing with an easy grace over all who come within your reach.
Not only is kindness due to everyone, but a special kindness is due to everyone. Kindness is not kindness unless it is special. Its charm consists in its fitness, its timeliness, and its individual application."
And I sure to conform myself to Jesus, oh so badly! Oh Lord, was my heart so hardened my first year that I mocked such a wise book? Was I so self-absorbed that I could not see that my mission was to be kind much more than it was to instruct? I am so sorry. Oh Sacred Heart of Jesus, make my heart like unto thine. Please help me to be more kind.
PS-I called my three first year teammates and apologized for my hardness of heart. They were very gracious about it, wonderful people that they are...


PPS-These pictures were all from before and after the great 40-mile bike race we rode in North Dakota. It was a time of great solidarity and hilarity. And we look so young... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment